Case Study #1 – Value Optimization to Improve an Asset’s Commercial Potential, and Acquisition Attractiveness
The client was a pre-commercial, publicly traded biotechnology, with a small global pricing and market access team preparing for the global launch of an ultra-orphan, Phase III candidate. The global market access team had limited EU expertise, was given an executive mandate to explore named patient programs, the communication of the value proposition had yet to be ratified, and there was a lack of personnel to develop comprehensive payer engagement plans.
Over the course of a 20 months, P4A became a trusted advisor to the company by collaborating with the client on 14 projects to vet, bolster, and optimize the asset value proposition, and revenue opportunity.
1. P4A immediately began in-depth analysis of the clinical program working with senior level market access, commercial, clinical, and manufacturing stakeholders.
2. In conjunction with the market access and clinical team, P4A prepared preliminary value messages, and aspirational value statements for the asset.
3. The P4A team initiated a robust ultra-orphan pricing and access landscape assessment, identified key therapeutic analogs, and prepared a comprehensive price-evidence package analysis to guide preliminary price and market access expectations with senior management.
4. P4A then conducted primary research with KOLs, payers, and policy makers to understand the current/expected future landscape, identify the impact, meaningfulness, and gaps in value messages, as well as, practical recommendations to overcome perceived issues, and recommend a price that is optimal based on varying levels of evidence.
5. In addition, P4A closely worked with the VP of EU Pricing and Market access and country managers to develop local negotiation tactics based on potential evidence variations, which were subsequently pressure tested in a separate discussion with payers/payer advisors.
6. To add an extremely high degree of confidence to the value messaging, and price expectations, an advisory board was organized and facilitated.
7. Finally, P4A built a revenue forecast to assist the client in assessing the impact of different launch, and evidence package scenarios, and how price-access implications influenced the corporate valuation.
Key Client Benefit:
The pricing and market access strategy supported senior management’s ability to effectively negotiate the largest pre-commercial biotechnology buy-out in industry history. The price and access recommendations were considered robust, and well supported by the revenue model.
We considered Sophie and her team as an extension of our own project group. They were always on hand to advise, support and give us the direction where needed.
Global Project Lead